Aven Colony update instructions
- itch.io public beta participants: download the latest version via the web and unzip on top of your current install — or, if using the launcher, make sure you’re using the latest version of the itch.io launcher (18.7.0 or later) and reinstall the game. Again, the beta is available here.
- If you experience issues launching the game via the itch.io app, please open the itch.io app and click on the “Preferences” option and make sure that “Enable itch.io sandbox” is unchecked, as shown below. The game should then launch!
- If you used the itch.io client to extract the game and you’re having problems loading the game or are otherwise unable to get to the main menu, please try the following:Hit Win+R (to open the “Run” box) and then paste the following into that box:
%appdata%\itch\apps\Aven Colony Beta\Engine\Extras\Redist\en-us\
If you downloaded it as a ZIP, navigate into the directory you extracted it, and then go into Engine\Extras\Redist\en-us .
In that folder you should see an executable named UE4PrereqSetup_x64. If you run that, that will install everything that the game needs – and you should then be able to run the game without issues!
- Steam closed beta participants (limited to media, streamers, YouTubers, and early beta participants from the closed beta prior to September): just exit Steam and restart to get the latest. Please keep an eye out for further updates; we’re laser focused on bug fixes and have several more coming down the pipe in the very near future.
Aven Colony Master Fixes List
(thanks to user Satoru for posting these!)
Save Game Problems
The latest patch may be causing issues with saving and loading your game. If you are encountering this issue then please try the following fix:
1. Open the itch.io app
2. At the bottom left is a button that has your username on it
3. Click that, then click “Preferences” in the menu that appears
4. Please UNCHECK “Enable itch.io sandbox” in the window that appears
Update Your Video Card Drivers
This is the next most common cause for people’s inability to run the game, particularly on PC.
First check your driver version using this method and make sure your drivers are recent:
For AMD cards, download the AMD Catalyst Control Center, which you can find here:
For NVidia cards, go to this page and download the appropriate drivers for your card by providing the correct information:
If you have an NVidia GeForce card, you can also download and install the GeForce Experience to update your cards through that:
For Intel cards, go to this page and download the appropriate drivers by providing the correct information:
Always make sure you reboot your machine after installing the drivers, just to be safe. Then try relaunching the game.
Laptop users should force their Nvidia/AMD cards
Use the Nvidia Control Panel or AMD CCC to force the game to use your built in GPU instead of the Intel one
This guide should help you depending on your video card:
Manually Run the Unreal Redistributable
In Windows go to
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\Aven Colony Beta\Engine\Extras\Redist\en-us
And run the file UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe
Reboot your computer afterwards
To see the AppData folder you need to have hidden folders viewable. Alternatively you can type in Explorer
And it will take you to the Appdata\Roaming folder automatically
If You Experience Problems With Saving / Loading …
If you’re playing the game via the itch.io app and find you’re unable to save or load games, please disable the itch.io sandbox as described in this post.
If you’re playing the game using “Windows 10 N” and experience crashes when going to the save/load screen, please try the following:
- Install Windows Media Framework by going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=49919 (or https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53356 if you’re running the Windows 10 Anniversary edition!).
- Make sure you get 3 updates from Windows Update after installing the Windows Media Framework – KB30100801, KB3099229 and KB3133719. If you’ve taken the above step, just running Windows Update should fix it.
Nothing Works! Help!
As the game is in alpha many many thing will likely go horribly wrong (just like on your colony!). To assist the devs in solving your issue as quickly as possible, please ensure you’ve tried all the steps above. Once you have you should create a new post outlining your issue. Please be absolutely verbose as possible. “Everything is broken” isn’t going to help the devs get your issue resolved. But something like “During a lightning storm I clicked on a farm and an alien came through my screen and punched me!” (file that under ‘non critical issue’…) is great. Make sure you put in your system specifications like
- Operating System
- Video Card Type
- CPU Type
If you have a save game where your bug is consistently repeatable, please attach that to the post here. Your save games are here:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\Aven Colony Beta\AvenColony\Saved\SaveGames
Also any log files from your crash would be helpful as well. You can find log files here:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\Aven Colony Beta\AvenColony\Saved\Logs
Use a zip program or use the compression utility built into most Windows systems to save space before attaching to your post.
If you have any other technical tips/tricks/concerns post them so I can add it to the list above
Trackback from your site.