Forums

make research centre useful permanently  

RSS

kelmen
05/10/2016 2:45 pm  

1)

once all research are done, it serve no purpose

this centre is hiring smartguys. if there is no more scientic topics to research, the head should devise something related to secure their job relevant to their smartness.

suggest to make it like factory, which it can produce whatever infinitely that can enhance happiness, something like they creating entertainment content, like games, movies, whatever.

2)

also improve/revise the research topics. if commute is one of the challenge for the colonies, don't these researchers should "research" how to tackle that issue?

a future colony, where everybody is "walking" to work. seriously?

Sci fi 101 and raddoni liked
ReplyQuote
Felix Atagong
Eminent Member
08/10/2016 11:57 am  

I suppose one can recycle the research centre after all the research has been done?

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
Silent_Shadow
09/10/2016 11:56 pm  

Don't you need it to place mills and chemical works?

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
10/10/2016 5:53 pm  

We're hoping to add quite a few more research options to the Research Center during the beta.  We're going over our lists now, but in the meantime, let us know if you have any suggestions!  🙂

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
thevigilantone
13/11/2016 1:05 am  

I agree, the research center should be a key facility. I would add a lot of technical research options too, not just biological ones. Like more efficient reactors, additional fuel source options, advanced protective tech, etc.

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
MarkJerue
14/11/2016 2:44 am  

Perhaps the research center can "research a cure" for certain persistent infections that are invading your colony? I ran a colony to ~450 people once this came out, and I found I had 8 colonists who were still infected long after everyone else was cured. Perhaps the research center can work on diplomatic/trade/propaganda issues too, giving a % boost to trade income and/or immigrant arrivals and/or voters in referendums. 

A few new building researches might be nice too, some more stylistic than others. Say researching a "high-speed tunnel" that can only take limited foot traffic, but moves faster - ideal for those tunnels to far-out iron mines and geothermals. Or smaller 1x1 and 1x2 parks, or larger 3x3 and 3x2 parks.

This is way far out, but even a few schools might be nice. Some of these colonists may have families (I don't know the lore of how the colonists come to work for the company), but if the families come along for the ride, that'd open up a whole new sleuth of building and design opportunities. Schools, daycares, wholesome(?) family values hopefully not involving creep or mind meld....

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
MarkJerue
14/11/2016 3:12 am  

Add-on: researching a few new crops might be interesting as well. I don't know how challenging any/all of these recommendations are to implement, or if they match the vision you have for Aven Colony, but I'm throwin' out there what hits my mind. In terms of "easy to grow staple crops", a few come to mind such as:

• Zucchini (they grow very invasively in tempermental climates)
  • Anything leafy (spinach, lettuce, cabbage)
  • Potatoes (unless we're implementing space bunnies)
  • Sunflower (useful for everything from cooking oil to salad to biofuel)
  • Cassava (also called tapioca or fufu in the West, hardy desert crop)
  • Bananas or plaintains

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
thevigilantone
14/11/2016 10:46 pm  

Good stuff Mark.

I would also like to see the format changed a little. Right now it is a list of specific drugs, and such that you want to research. But that isn't how research works. You start out with a goal to search for a drug to boost productivity and eventually work something out. The research center is backwards. Many times new discoveries are accidental. This should be captured at the center. You staff it and maybe request a direction, but the discoveries are a surprise. 

Edited: 9 months  ago

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
pHobia
29/11/2016 7:56 am  

I would like to see research relevant to what we have today in our world. I myself am in research in both microbiology and botany, and am fully interested in seeing research become a prominent feature in this game. At the moment, it provides little to the management of my colonies other than some supplemental fun. New options include: agriculture (production bonuses, new plants, alien plants, new processed goods), processed goods that actually mean something to the colony (say a better conversion from basic crops to processed goods to make up for the storage space and consumption), medical (specific to alien and domestic diseases, cancers, etc.), energy (this includes alternative fuel sources), environmental (impact surveys, resource management, ozone depletion, runoff/polution, terraforming, etc.), exploration, and commercial (transportation, clothes, heating, entertainment, etc.). I could continue for awhile...

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
Zarro
09/12/2016 4:40 pm  

I think a good idea for an end-game research center, after you've completed all research, could be a boost to either food, water or power generation. Write it off with some lore and make research stations generate an extra chunk of food or water at +25 per second (or maybe 100 or 200 power) to whichever the player decides on. A couple of other city building games I've played went with this kind of route, it seems pretty solid to me.

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
raddoni
19/12/2016 10:13 am  

I second the suggestion.

Research facilities need more purpose, Ideas: 

- Surveying missions/deeper drilling technologies: new resources appear on the map in some quantities (would also justify the presence of the laser mine if waste of resources was not so dramatic)

- building placement/location bonuses: for example: a technology increasing efficiency of both nanite factories if they are placed next to each other. Now add randomness factor to those techs (tech outcome is secret, bonuses are granted for random different set of building type pairs/groups placed next to each other for each play-through) and see players have to continuously rearrange the plan of their colony as they make research breakthroughs (differently for each game) to make the most of the bonuses. Gives immense playability and unpredictable game each time.  (a little bit Offworld trading company style, just taken on a new level)

- Open-end Colony ship research missions, with rewards raging from resources to prestige

- Make the upper tiers of buildings research-able instead of immediately available

- World Wonders/Super projects... Atmosphere stabilisator, Agrycolis, Massive Spaceship Launcher, Alien Communicator, First Proper Colony City, Earth Zoo, Children Preserve, just name them whatever... each could take multiple techs to research and build, eats resources, gives bonuses, unlocks achievements, progresses the story line.... (good old Pharaoh style maybe )

- research-able policies

- winter adaptability - lesser negative impact of winter

- tourism?launching pod for to-earth exports? aven-found minerals/porducts that are must have in old earth?

- military technologies - weapons etc. make an avatar-like story line campaign... destroy or save the indigenous civilization

- develop as a character, not just rank up (Tropico 5 style?) - research skills for yourself and develop them, teach colonist skills to perform better but consume more. 

- HOVER-BOARDS!!!! the colonists need hover-boards to commute!!! (and jetpacks, and small drones to make the colony sky like a little busy bee-hive). FUTURE HAS HOVER-BOARDS!

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
16/03/2017 12:28 am  

I agree with all of the above.

What is the research centre if not a Campus for the smart? Should it not therefore double up as a University as such and have the ability to train others to higher levels of competence? Thereby, job switching in all forms becomes more relevant and only the highly trained can take up the job positions for the higher tiered buildings. Night classes could be available and in some ways could help to reduce the overall crime level. It could be another consideration for the governor as to the education level of the colony to ensure a balanced workforce.

A balanced workforce. What about a political arena? What about journalists and TV broadcasting stations?

All the Children seem to be missing for atmosphere and so is the school to teach them all in. Is there a maternity ward in the hospital? Don't they make babies in the future? 

But the most important thing is as raddoni says, it would be cool to see:

- HOVER-BOARDS!!!! the colonists need hover-boards to commute!!! (and jetpacks, and small drones to make the colony sky like a little busy bee-hive). FUTURE HAS HOVER-BOARDS!

Well that enough from me and thanks for reading.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register