Forums

Plague feedback  

RSS

cTrix
16/01/2017 2:03 pm  

Hi I only recently started the game, won the first scenario on normal. The game seems solid so far, but one thing had me thrown off which was when my colony got infected by a plague. Now, first of all, it'd be nice if the game told you that you can see the spread of infection in the colonist overlay. I had to search for a bit. Secondly, and more importantly. There's currently nothing in the game that tells you how effectively you are treating the infection. There's nothing about how overworked a hospital is, or how far the reach of a hospital extends. I had a lot of people die off because even the hospital staff itself was infected, but I wasn't sure if they were even treating anyone. I had plenty of antivirals and antibiotics stockpiled since alcohol is currently inactive and the chem plant had nothing else to produce.

A bit off topic but it seems really easy to just spam solar panels for infinite power since they don't require workers or upkeep. Is that intended?

Edited: 6 months  ago

ReplyQuote
LZIM
 LZIM
Eminent Member
17/01/2017 12:42 am  

Ultimately if you have hospital coverage and stock of 100-200 meds you can ignore the plague entirely.

But I just wondered.. if you can see which building is about to get hit by the plaque spore can't you recycle the tunels and buildings nearby to isolate it and allow the affected colonists to just die?

Problem solved.

ReplyQuote
cTrix
17/01/2017 10:31 am  

Ultimately if you have hospital coverage and stock of 100-200 meds you can ignore the plague entirely.

I had over 200 meds, but still about 30 people died. After that though, the plague disapeared so I guess it could've been worse? The only place where people stayed infected was in a small outpost far away where I ended up building a separate hospital. Still, there were a lot of people who died and I had nothing I could do about it, or anything telling me if I could've done something about it in the first place. Sick people were just wandering around like normal instead of going to the hospital.

It doesn't matter if plagues aren't a threat or how to best prepare against it, there needs to be a feedback system for it for it to feel like a good game mechanic.

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
17/01/2017 9:08 pm  

Usually when I build habitats or skyscrapers, the second building I put next to it is a basic hospital.  That way, if the nearby inhabitants get sick, they can just run next door and treat the problem.  One of the first jobs I put my chemistry plant to is making Antibiotics and Antivirals.  I'll let the stock get up to about 2,000-3,000 units before stopping.  Strangely enough, the number doesn't go down much, even though I know the hospitals I have work on colonists every day.  For now, the plague spores are predictable in where they spawn on each map, and if you don't have enough plasma turrets to shoot the spore out of the sky, it can get sucked into a air filter fan and infect the colony.  But like what was said above, if you have enough hospitals and medicine, the plague isn't a huge problem.  

ReplyQuote
LZIM
 LZIM
Eminent Member
19/01/2017 8:54 am  

See that's what I mean. The feedback you're asking for doesn't apply because the game isn't real time, it just looks like it is. The little people in the tunnels aren't real. Your best bet is to look at the work places because you can see the colonists that are sick. Even if you can't do anything about it, the ones with most sick people, put a hospital there. But they will probably be dead anyway.

^^ is the correct way to do it. You have to play your layout to have a hospital near to work places and residential blocks so in theory the sick people can go to the hospital. 

But rather than hold any amount of meds I figure it makes sense to have reserve water so you can magically make more meds using just water *shrugs*

To know it is working you just look at the hospital. It will show you treated people and how many meds they are are using so you can stop making more until it starts to run out. 

ReplyQuote
cTrix
19/01/2017 2:25 pm  

I did that. I had sick people working at the hospital.

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
20/01/2017 10:10 pm  
Posted by: LZIM

See that's what I mean. The feedback you're asking for doesn't apply because the game isn't real time, it just looks like it is. The little people in the tunnels aren't real. Your best bet is to look at the work places because you can see the colonists that are sick. Even if you can't do anything about it, the ones with most sick people, put a hospital there. But they will probably be dead anyway.

^^ is the correct way to do it. You have to play your layout to have a hospital near to work places and residential blocks so in theory the sick people can go to the hospital. 

But rather than hold any amount of meds I figure it makes sense to have reserve water so you can magically make more meds using just water *shrugs*

To know it is working you just look at the hospital. It will show you treated people and how many meds they are are using so you can stop making more until it starts to run out. 

I actually forgot to mention that, due to constraints of walking distance, I usually am strategic about as to where I put my habitats and skyscrapers.  I usually try to place them at even distances around work areas, especially those that have high walking penalties.  Sometimes I lose farmland this way, but it's a price I'm willing to pay if it means making things easier for the colonists.  I'm just trying to tell you, that as long as you have enough hospitals, (which in turn are in going to be strategically placed along with the setup I suggested) then all your sick colonists need to do is walk over there and get treated. 

You said that 30 people died in an isolated area that had no hospital.  I think that entire event speaks for itself, and it's happened to me too.  I recommend keeping up with each living area you build and just be careful with prioritizing what building projects your nanites go to.  I think when you're choosing where to put the hospital footprint, it shows arrows as to where people would come from that would use it. 

If you think it would benefit your colonists better, by all means, put a hospital among some of the businesses that are farther away from living areas.  I don't think it's necessary, but it's your game. 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register