Terraforming  

RSS

Ocejanus
Eminent Member
27/09/2016 10:51 pm  

Dear Devs,

just a small wish....a "nice-to-have"-suggestion:

Whats about Terraforming? 😉

I am on Vanaar in sandbox-mode and these ponds sometimes drives me crazy...and then I think: That would be nice if I could fill them up or if I could blow up the stones and hills for more buildings...

Maybe this could be an option in the later gameplay or in an Addon oder an additional quest or something like that.

A nice day to everyone,

now I have to build up another Zorium-Generator...

Ocejanus

Edited: 10 months  ago

i5-2300 / 8 GB RAM / R9 280 X / Windows 10 Home

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
28/09/2016 12:20 am  

Unfortunately, we have to rule that out for now  ...  we're stuck with using the landscape system built into Unreal, and it doesn't support any modification at runtime.

Maybe in a sequel or expansion in the future  ...

ReplyQuote
LZIM
 LZIM
Eminent Member
13/01/2017 1:00 pm  

Really? I'm sure there are methods to do terrain modification in UE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFjdznp1hjo

Not that it would affect the game one way or the other without flowing water and player affected irrigation and other real-time systems based on the crude strategies players seem to assume in order to maximize colony growth, but assuming Aven Prime ever gets a Steam launch, there are too few features to make the game stand out as is. Some feature requests keep getting repeated because apparently people want to see the world itself be affected by the player.. in that we seldom see it ever since Simcity 4 did it and that was so long ago.

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
14/01/2017 12:25 am  

Really? I'm sure there are methods to do terrain modification in UE4

Yes, of course, but again, we're using Unreal's Landscape system.

Switching to another system at this point would be far out of scope and would push back our launch date quite a bit, and we're not willing to do that.

but assuming Aven Prime ever gets a Steam launch

There's no need for sarcasm.

there are too few features to make the game stand out as is

It's still in beta.  There are some big new features coming soon that we haven't announced yet.

Edited: 7 months  ago

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
14/01/2017 7:41 am  

Perhaps someday the colonists might build technology to thicken Aven Prime's atmosphere, increase oxygen levels, and warm it up, though they might risk killing the plants and wildlife, so perhaps Terra-forming is not a good idea. 

ReplyQuote
LZIM
 LZIM
Eminent Member
16/01/2017 10:47 pm  

That's one aspect of terraforming a new world and you pretty much expect it to cause extinctions in the local flora and fauna if you kick off that process immediately. The bulk of it can be done with the most successful local flora versus giant machines but it takes time. Anything not hardy enough or capable of adapting to the more Earth-like conditions we'd require might die. But over time or with our intervention new creatures would thrive. Like how over time oxygen levels have fallen here on Earth. After the asteroid killed off the dinosaurs mammals started taking over. There are a few scientists trying to bring back Mammoths and see if they can do the same with viable dna from any dinosaurs we can find, sequence, and splice into modern reptile eggs.

Ever wonder what WE might need here on earth in the meantime? Before leaving earth we could do similar things and bio-engineer new life forms to enrich our atmosphere. 

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
16/01/2017 11:03 pm  

There is one way to save the local wildlife and fauna of Aven Prime, if the terra-forming is done slowly.  I remember reading some stories where the terra-forming was stretched out over a period of decades, or even centuries.  Often the scientists who started the project did not live to see the final result of making a world habitable for humans, but their children, grandchildren, or even their great-grandchildren did see the results.  It's less of an issue regarding local ecology if they start on a dead, moon-like world that's the same size as Earth, and nudged into the right kind of orbit to get enough heat from the local sun. 

Colonial biologists could save the DNA of Aven Prime's wildlife, and like you say, create similar alien species and plants that can handle warmer temperatures and higher oxygen levels.  However, so far I have not seen any evidence that the planet's atmosphere or biosphere are going to be changed by massive human (or even alien) technology (at least not on that kind of scale) so for now, it's the colonists who must adapt.  

ReplyQuote
LZIM
 LZIM
Eminent Member
17/01/2017 2:12 am  

Also why most of these games have time scales of decades and centuries (so you can see generations of colonists) but Aven prime opted for what seems like days to months.

Where even spore was interesting because you could have seen evolution occurring by natural selection and player intervention.

Would be interesting to see a game take a planet the size of the ones in No Man's Sky.. even the little moons would be big enough, and show real scientifically accurate colonization up the point where you're building space ships to support trade empires with nearby planets and other star systems (Spore 2 if EA would ever get around to it).

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register