Forums

Tunnels Visuals  

RSS

raddoni
19/12/2016 10:22 am  

Tunnels graphics looks a bit mundane once surrounded by buildings: the bigger the colony the tunnels are just a set of cross-junctions stacked up together. I like making-my-colony-pretty and there is a lot of potential there, yet the tunnels/structures look somewhat weird when with so many repeated joints that do not really make sense and are not used. For me it takes away the Amazeballs out of the futuristic functional colony look.
Suggestions:

- change the graphics for a tunnel when the whole side of it is bordering a building into just a hall with cool see-through roof.

- maybe allow only one point building entry using tunnel instead of the whole wall connection? That will require more planning effort and will make the colony look better - less weird junctions;

- Also: Add expensive underground tunnels to go around obstacles (Moon Tycoon style)?

ReplyQuote
LZIM
 LZIM
Eminent Member
13/01/2017 5:48 am  

Yasssss..... As I was reading the first bit I was like.. uh.. the tunnels among other things are powered, sectioned airlocks. But the junctions and segments up to airlocks is an eyesore. So is stair step tunnels because you can't make diagonal or free-form tunnel sections.

Problem is currently they get destroyed in segments because that's the most simple and safe way to show buildings and airlocks on a grid. Take the segments away and you could end up with more than a few colonists getting killed when a wall length section is breached or destroyed. I mean currently you don't even lose any colonists because there's no meaningful representation of real-time foot traffic, or they have suits on that allow them to quickly dash to a nearby airlock. By the looks of things that isn't about to change.

Having the pedestrian tunnels go flush up against buildings would be sweet. Otherwise the holes (between the tunnels and buildings) would eventually get clogged with sand and dust anyway. IF you had the option of more expensive, say x2 or x3 the cost, to build shielded tunnels this would make more sense AND you could be forced to use the security cameras. Though you'd only ever need to if there was some story motivation to find and talk to any particular colonist.

Also on board with underground tunnels because if you already have a building up commuting shouldn't be impeded. And hopefully vehicle tunnels at some point if the game ever gets real-time or more realistic foot and vehicle traffic (where colonists would travel around in pods or pod networks to get to far off places). Switching to a transportation overlay and seeing all your stock move around in pods, foot traffic and commuter pods moving in real-time like opening up the colony's circulatory system would be cool. It makes it easier to believe stock is being moved if you can see it and manage the flow versus the magic stock is available all the time system because of the tunnels.. if everything is always connected directly or by tunnels. I think a few other people have mentioned this games lack of animation.. seeing stock move from storage buildings to homes or factories would be an easy add no?

Having pedestrian tunnels go over pod tunnels would also all the player freedom to have transportation network unaffected by foot traffic.

Edited: 7 months  ago

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register