Forums

Clarification regarding Steam key distribution  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
27/01/2017 1:27 am  
Posted by: chcl011a22

without the steam key, would i still get the updates from you but not steam?

Yes, we'll still update to itch.io.

itch.io : beta, all updates, and then launch

Steam: launch only

ReplyQuote
satoru
Eminent Member
27/01/2017 4:40 am  

I'll preface this with the following. I am NOT an employee/developer nor affiliated with Aven Colony. This is merely my semi-high level historical background of why Steam has this particular policy. Take what I say with a literal metric ton of salt. It is not official. Its just the uneducated blatherings of someone on the internet.

So Steam used to be sort of ok with 'soft launches'. Essentially using Steam's back end to distribute your game but not have it officially on sale. Not many devs did it. But it really wasn't a huge issue. Steam let you generate keys pretty much without question. You could give them out to people. Steam was mostly hands off on that front, if you wanted keys you got them.

The problem in the past maybe 1-2 years is that unfortunately unscrupulous developers and scammers have been using the promise of steam keys as leverage. "Vote for our game and get free steam keys!". "Greenlight us and get free steam keys". "Post positive reviews and get steam keys". Steam is popular, which is of course why many of you want steam keys. That value was being abused by unscrupulous devs to leverage customers to do things that circumvented things like reviews, the Greenlight process, etc.

Steam stopped counting key activations towards Steam's reviews scores. That was part of the overall reigning in of the sort of unfettered way in which some keys were being distributed. Its also now much much harder to generate game keys unless your game is actually officially released on Steam. Need a few hundred for youtubers and streamers? ok. Want a few thousand, hey what are you doing buddy!

Thus steams official policy for Steam keys is "You cannot promise steam keys unless your game is simultaneously on sale on Steam". Aside from very very narrow exceptions such as Kickstarters this is Steam's hard line stance.

Steam talked about steam keys at their dev days in case you're interested go to 40:11

https://youtu.be/eok0W1nKjM0?t=1395

That's kind of the back story.

So where does that leave us?

The reality is that the devs have to adhere to Steam's official policy stance concerning this issue. Yes its unfortunate legitimate devs like the ones here have to adhere to specific rules designed to curb abuse by unscrupulous ones. But the rules have to apply to everyone equally.

So they have to say "We cannot promise steam keys if you buy the game here as per Steam's policy".

Again please take what I said above with a metric ton of salt. But I hope it gives you a slight glimpse into the historical context of Steam's policy on this front

Wherever you go there you are

ReplyQuote
bandicoot
09/02/2017 9:55 pm  

OK, I can see your logic.  I'm guessing you're not a large team, either, despite the pretty high design level of the game.  I can understand your not wanting to not get overwhelmed by feedback so limiting your early access exposure does make some sense.  Sorry I didn't have the full picture before..I just hope I can get the game soon and that lots more content will be available down the road.

ReplyQuote
Ripley Riley
13/02/2017 9:38 pm  

I purchased Aven Colony, on this itch.io platform I will never use again, mostly because the game looks great. I want to support the developers and give valuable beta feedback. I also understand that Steam keys are not being sold during the beta.

Clarify something for me: when the game is finally sold on Steam will I receive a key?

If not, what is your refund process?

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
bluesaka111
Eminent Member
19/02/2017 3:44 pm  

Refund? Why should you buy this game when you know that you wont receive any Steam key when the game available on Steam?

Be advised that purchasing this beta does buy the full game upon release via itch.io but does not grant a Steam key.  We are unable to offer Steam keys as the game is not yet available for purchase via Steam (for the reasons explained in our FAQ). < Source >

And AC will continue to receive update on Itch IO then there no reason to stop using it.

I paid for this on Itch and I'm very satisfied with the game and with the team building it so I will happy to buy steam version when it comes out (if it can run without dragging steam API with it).

ReplyQuote
Ripley Riley
28/02/2017 7:46 pm  
Posted by: bluesaka111

Refund? Why should you buy this game when you know that you wont receive any Steam key when the game available on Steam?

Be advised that purchasing this beta does buy the full game upon release via itch.io but does not grant a Steam key.  We are unable to offer Steam keys as the game is not yet available for purchase via Steam (for the reasons explained in our FAQ). < Source >

And AC will continue to receive update on Itch IO then there no reason to stop using it.

I paid for this on Itch and I'm very satisfied with the game and with the team building it so I will happy to buy steam version when it comes out (if it can run without dragging steam API with it).

I'm happy that you are satisfied with the game. I personally try to keep my gaming to as few platforms as possible. I only broke that rule because I do like Aven Colony and want it to succeed. If there are no refund options then I can simply reverse the payment on my credit card, but I would rather work with the developer.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev

Working

Please Login or Register