Forums

Crop Curiosity  

RSS

LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
21/04/2017 2:09 am  

I am curious as to why you guys chose the earth crops you did for growing food in the game.  You'd think the colonists would take along a whole variety of earth food crops and do minor genetic modifications to them so they could grow in Aven Prime's atmosphere.  Crops like beans and potatoes would be especially useful in getting protein and starches the colonists would need.  If I were to think story-wise, perhaps those were the only earth crops that could be successfully grown in Aven Prime's thin, cold atmosphere, though that still doesn't explain why they were chosen at all.

In regards to the alien crops, I do think that's clever that the scientists in the research centers can modify the alien plants to be edible, like Entari Bread and Oatmeal, or Xeno Spice Bread, or Groji Beans.  I actually thought it was funny that the description for Quori Beans and Quori Pie say that it tastes nasty, and yet the colonists still eat it.  The crop itself looks interesting.  Looks like two turquoise Bloodroot coils growing out of the same stalk.  

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
21/04/2017 3:32 pm  

Good question!  There are a lot of historical reasons for it related to all the things that happened to us during development.  Partly it was us wanting to keep the number of crops reasonable, partly it was due to wanting a diversity of earth crops that would grow better or worse in different biomes.  And partly it was due to our interviews with Prof Abel Mendez and one other individual regarding food cultivation on alien worlds.

But there's a part of me that wishes we'd had potatoes and grapes, and I hope we can add them at some point in the future 😉

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
21/04/2017 9:29 pm  

Good question!  There are a lot of historical reasons for it related to all the things that happened to us during development.  Partly it was us wanting to keep the number of crops reasonable, partly it was due to wanting a diversity of earth crops that would grow better or worse in different biomes.  And partly it was due to our interviews with Prof Abel Mendez and one other individual regarding food cultivation on alien worlds.

But there's a part of me that wishes we'd had potatoes and grapes, and I hope we can add them at some point in the future 😉

Cool! 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register