ares2764
03/09/2016 7:10 am  

if i buy the beta do i get the full game your do i have to pay again 

thank you

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
03/09/2016 4:45 pm  

You will get the full game; the beta is essentially a pre-order.

Do be aware, though, that the beta will be exclusively on itch.io, which means that it doesn't come with a Steam key, since itch.io and Steam are separate services.  We absolutely do plan to go onto Steam for the full launch of the game, but not for the beta.

Edited: 11 months  ago

ReplyQuote
LiquidElectron
03/09/2016 10:44 pm  

I don't understand why not, Steam/Valve does this all the time.  They provided keys to Frontier for Elite: Dangerous and that was a massive launch.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't do the same for you.  Possibly because Frontier only sold via their own store and itch.io is a competing store?  Either way this is a real downer. 

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
03/09/2016 11:30 pm  

It's because Valve doesn't allow the distribution of keys when you're selling on someone else's store but not on their store.

We do, of course, intend to launch on Steam when we also simultaneously launch on itch.io (and whatever else).

But in the meantime, we'll be only on itch.io during the beta -- so we would essentially be selling Steam keys through someone else's store, which would be a violation of their policies.  See the attached: "Steam keys cannot be sold on other sites unless the product is also available on Steam." 

ReplyQuote
Moocats
04/09/2016 4:28 pm  

SO why didn't you just abide by the steam early access policy and put the beta there also? I've not even heard of this itch.io you speak of. This ensures I will not pre-order your product which is a shame. I also suspect I won't be alone on this.

This in of it's self may not be a concern but depending on the actual release date of the steam product the interest may have dropped off. Seems bad business sense to release the beta on one smaller platform at the expense of the bigger one but no doubt you have your reasons. 

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
04/09/2016 5:17 pm  
Posted by: Moocats

SO why didn't you just abide by the steam early access policy and put the beta there also?

We explain our reasoning in our FAQ.  See the excellent article by Offworld Trading Company developer Soren Johnson at http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/274240/Postmortem_Offworld_Trading_Companys_Early_Access_campaign.php .

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
04/09/2016 5:22 pm  
Posted by: Moocats

I've not even heard of this itch.io you speak of. This ensures I will not pre-order your product which is a shame.

We are perfectly OK with that.  Really.  Our goal is to maximize the quality of our game in the long run, not to minimize sales of the beta in the short term.

We deliberately want a carefully-controlled beta with only the most dedicated Aven Colony enthusiasts in the near term.  While we're undeniably leaving some revenues on the table in order to do this -- we'd certainly make a lot more money going into Steam Early Access first -- we don't think that's the right way to do things, because it will make Aven Colony the best possible game in the long run.

Look at what happened with No Man's Sky.  The game came out and a lot of people were very unhappy because for whatever reason, there was a disconnect between the game people imagined and what they actually were given when the game was released.

We absolutely want to make sure there is no such disconnect in our case, and we absolutely believe the right way to do that is with a carefully-controlled beta on itch.io, and Steam Early Access doesn't currently offer us the tools to do a public beta in the same way.

bluesaka111 liked
ReplyQuote
bluesaka111
Eminent Member
06/09/2016 10:42 pm  

I absolutely agree with your decision and i wont mind to buy this game again if it comes out on steam (easier for management) if it still stay true to its long term goal, price, well... forget it.

Steam early access is meant for developers to get a lot testing data from a large amount of players but many games abuse that power and use it to earn short term cash which damaged the game industry, especially with Indie developers.

I will post some suggestion about this game later.

Paul Tozour liked
ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
06/09/2016 10:57 pm  
Posted by: bluesaka111

Steam early access is meant for developers to get a lot testing data from a large amount of players but many games abuse that power and use it to earn short term cash which damaged the game industry, especially with Indie developers.   

Exactly!  There will come a point where we want a lot of players, but right now, we want a small number of players.

ReplyQuote
mharmless
06/09/2016 11:36 pm  

I understand that you don't want to do steam early access, and that's fine. I would love to buy this on itch.io to get into the beta. But, I also would like to have a steam key once it goes live as a finished product. Will there be steam keys provided for the early adopters once it does go live on steam?

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
07/09/2016 12:00 am  
Posted by: mharmless

I understand that you don't want to do steam early access, and that's fine. I would love to buy this on itch.io to get into the beta. But, I also would like to have a steam key once it goes live as a finished product. Will there be steam keys provided for the early adopters once it does go live on steam?

The best answer I can give you right now is: we can't guarantee anything like that happening, so assume that they won't.

ReplyQuote
Vexare
07/09/2016 12:27 am  
Posted by: Paul Tozour

Posted by: mharmless

The best answer I can give you right now is: we can't guarantee anything like that happening, so assume that they won't.

I bought into RimWorld long before Tynan ever released it on Steam. The updated builds were sent via email. Once the game went live on Steam much later, Tynan sent everyone a Steam key via the same email we had originally registered and purchased the game from Ludeon Studios. 

I expected the same process with this game and now I'm not so sure. If you're saying you're not guaranteeing a Steam Key once you do put it on Steam, I may not purchase from itch.io and wait. I would expect once you've gone live on Steam you will get steam keys for those who were part of your beta program. 

ReplyQuote
mcjan_
07/09/2016 12:48 pm  

Hello i want buy this on itch.io with the link on this side But itch.io says 404 Not Found help ? I love This at the first moment on youtube.

Thanks for your help

Mcjan_

ReplyQuote
satoru
Eminent Member
07/09/2016 1:19 pm  
Posted by: mcjan_

Hello i want buy this on itch.io with the link on this side But itch.io says 404 Not Found help ? I love This at the first moment on youtube.

Thanks for your help

Mcjan_

https://twitter.com/MothershipTeam/status/773424787314147328

The public beta goes live at 1 PM PST = 4 PM EST today. Watch this space!

Not quite out yet! But very very soon! 🙂

Wherever you go there you are

ReplyQuote
mcjan_
07/09/2016 2:26 pm  

Thanks satoru I don`t read all the information

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register