Forums

What buildings & other features would you most like to see in future updates & DLC?  

Page 2 / 4 Prev Next
  RSS

Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
01/04/2017 12:28 pm  
Posted by: Sci fi 101

Besides the other planets or moons within the system, what are the designated names given to the gas giant and smaller moon that we can see?

Aven, an Irish girls name meaning 'fair radiance' or alternatively 'mountain flower' would make it fitting for the gas giant to be called Benandonner (the Scottish giant) and the smaller moon Oona (the wife of Fionn mac Cumhaill) of the Irish mythological story about the Giants Causeway.

ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
01/04/2017 5:52 pm  
  • Reconnaissance Tower (an advanced warning system on the periphery of the Colony, increased happiness)
  • Colonial Shield (A defensive shield matrix for deflecting all incoming shard or enemy fire, Alien discovery, increased happiness)

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
01/04/2017 9:54 pm  

Aven, an Irish girls name meaning 'fair radiance' or alternatively 'mountain flower' would make it fitting for the gas giant to be called Benandonner (the Scottish giant) and the smaller moon Oona (the wife of Fionn mac Cumhaill) of the Irish mythological story about the Giants Causeway.

I love it!  The name ideas are brilliant!  I kept wondering why they chose the name "Aven," of all things.  Perhaps they could write a background on the naming, like saying someone who was heavily involved in dreaming up the mission was of Irish descent, and was nuts about Druidic mythology, or perhaps had a daughter/wife/sister/guardian/friend with that name.  

Far too often, sci-fi authors default themselves to ancient Greek names, and it gets old after a while.  It's more fun when they tap into other mythologies to get naming ideas, like in the book Rendezvous with Rama.  It said early in the novel that over the centuries after the 20th, astronomers eventually ran out of ancient Greek figures to name the stars, so they cleverly tapped into the Hindu Pantheon, which literally has hundreds of deities, spirits, and demigods to choose from, hence the name "Rama" for the unknown alien spacecraft.  In the novel The Legacy of Heorot, the author used Aurthurian names for the planet the colonists settled on.  However, it isn't Aurthurian legends he used as inspiration for his story, but rather, the Beowulf poem.   There are one or two sci-fi stories/franchises that used Nordic myths to name planets, stars, and moons, but I can't think of them right now.  

That would be cool, though, tapping into Irish/Druidic mythology for planetary names in this star system.  Nobody's ever done that before.

ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
01/04/2017 10:43 pm  

Maybe Fionn is another gas giant in the Aven Prime system?

Here are some more buildings that I thought might be worth considering for future updates. I did think that animals might have been imported and catered for in the colony and quite plausible too.

• Observatory (scientific study for astronomers and star gazers delight, increased happiness and research)
  • Subterranean Farm (increased food production, vulnerable to worm sign!)
  • Missile defense platform to tier 3 (increased range, rate of fire and damage, ground based or space bound and vulnerable to Rebel or Alien space forces!)
  • Livestock compound (imported animals for breeding, increased happiness and consumption)
  • Veterinary clinic (health check for the animals)

Paul Tozour liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
02/04/2017 11:14 am  

Are there any plans for introducing oil deposits or natural gas outlets as a further source of energy on Aven Prime moon? There does seem to be the remnants of super volcano activity and inferred sea ways. How old is Aven Prime and has it had enough time for oil or gas deposits to form from the generations of decaying flora and whatever fauna that has been buried under the sedimentary layers by plate tectonic action? 

Warning!!

Potential plot spoiler!!

Do the picturesque crystalline structures that are seen in-game for all their beauty have any properties that can be used for an Alien power device found on the Tenari Glacier map, the crystals focusing the device in some way and working similar to the Dilithium crystals used in Star Trek?

Here are some other ideas with the above fore mentioned in mind.

• Oil rig/Nodding donkey (extracts oil for use in an Oil generator)
  • Oil silo (storage depot for oil)
  • Gas rig (extractor for natural gas)
  • Gas silo (storage for gas)
  • Oil/Gas generator (increased power/pollution)
  • Alien crystalline power generator (increased power, clean energy, no adverse pollution effects)

Paul Tozour liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
02/04/2017 3:10 pm  

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention about the potential for shipping and the pleasure cruisers across the inferred oceans or sea ways of Aven Prime. Along with the Oil rig out at sea maybe another mission map can be introduced with other native sea creatures having an impact on the operations? What else is sitting at the bottom of the ocean or sea? A submarine? An Alien artifact I hear you say?! Exciting discovering something new isn't it?

• Dockyard (Military mission building similar to expedition center, Ships R us!)
  • Port (a trade and leisure facility, increased happiness and consumption)
  • Fish Farm (increased happiness and consumption)

Paul Tozour liked
ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
02/04/2017 4:32 pm  
Posted by: Sci fi 101

Are there any plans for introducing oil deposits or natural gas outlets as a further source of energy on Aven Prime moon? There does seem to be the remnants of super volcano activity and inferred sea ways. How old is Aven Prime and has it had enough time for oil or gas deposits to form from the generations of decaying flora and whatever fauna that has been buried under the sedimentary layers by plate tectonic action? 

About six billion, a bit older than Earth.  So it's had plenty of geological action of all kinds.

Warning!!

Potential plot spoiler!!

Do the picturesque crystalline structures that are seen in-game for all their beauty have any properties that can be used for an Alien power device found on the Tenari Glacier map, the crystals focusing the device in some way and working similar to the Dilithium crystals used in Star Trek?

Our lips are sealed!  😉

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
02/04/2017 11:31 pm  

Livestock compound (imported animals for breeding, increased happiness and consumption)

I actually asked about this in one of my earliest threads: http://avencolony.com/community/beta-feedback/animal-farming/

In my very first post, I asked if the colonists would eventually have children: http://avencolony.com/community/beta-feedback/colony-population/

So we'll see what the devs have in mind.

ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
03/04/2017 12:05 am  

I did read your earlier suggestions and your input for the crystals too, which lead me to think about the Alien crystalline power generator and thank you for the inspiration. I just posed the ideas because they weren't mentioned here on this thread and don't claim ownership.

I must say. I do hope they represent the younger generations of those animals that they decide to use for the delight of the younger generations of humans in the colony 🙂

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
03/04/2017 12:28 am  

I was curious about the crystals, though I didn't think of how they might be applied to alien tech.  We have no idea what kind of minerals they're made out of, and it's unknown if they will come in handy later in the game.  I did ask about the stuff in the crevasse of Tenari Glacier, but I haven't heard a word, so it's secret.  We'll let the devs slowly reveal stuff when they're ready.

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
03/04/2017 4:31 am  

Observatory (scientific study for astronomers and star gazers delight, increased happiness and research)

Funny you should mention this one ;).  It reminds me of something the game Poseidon had.  It was the sequel to Zeus: Master of Olympus, and instead of gyms, philosophers, and plays, the Atlanteans were happier with libraries, laboratories, and astronomy towers.  You'd see this pretty, cylindrical building with a giant crystal lens rotating around on the top, and you could hear the mechanics squeaking away inside.  If you clicked on the building, they'd sometimes tell you what the Atlantean astronomers were looking at.  This included things like "Dark side of the moon," "Martian Mania," "Asteroids and Fiery Meteors," and "The rings of Saturn."  Although, both games are pretty primitive compared to Aven Colony. 

Edited: 4 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
03/04/2017 10:25 am  

The different coloured crystals that adorn the game could potentially be used on many Alien technologies or artifacts. Each colour of crystal having a slightly different property to another. Emerald might be specifically suited for power generators, sapphire for enhancing weapon focus etc etc. Further research might reveal these.

I mentioned the Colonial Shield matrix (a force field) and that could be one such Alien technology that incorporates all of the different types of crystals for multiple frequency coverage and representing the pinnacle of the Aliens technological advancement.

Now, let's imagine that that Colonial Shield matrix could not only defend against incoming weapon fire from the ground or creep/plague spore penetration, but it also creates an air tight environment within it (a huge hemisphere enclosing the whole colony) and there now be no need for any tunnels for as long as the shield endures. It would be unaffected by external weather effects apart from the diminished sun light in a Sol and even able to withstand orbital bombardment from space if that was to be a scenario.

Surely there must be a weakness to that colonial shield matrix? Everything has a weakness somewhere, an Achilles heel!

Now it's time for your unfriendly Alien or Rebel neighbour to launch a ground invasion using walkers to take out your generator (I've seen this sort of thing done before in sci-fi). Maybe you can save the day by fending them all off in an heroic effort or maybe by finally working out how to communicate with the Alien Guardians, the crystals having some significance, and ultimately unveiling this to the Rebel faction and in so doing allowing peace to be with all.

A new age for mankind has dawned.

Paul Tozour liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
03/04/2017 5:03 pm  

A smaller issue for the game is the zone of control for the buildings such as hospitals, retail center, VR center or bar & grill. When initially placing them you can see the effective area highlighted in white, but not when they are built. The only way for the player to see these effects is by monitoring the happiness on a regular basis which can be quite time consuming. You have visibility for the lightning towers and drone stations, why not the others? Same for the earth history center and stadium.

Paul Tozour liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
03/04/2017 10:09 pm  

Another possible thing to introduce is an alternative path for different endings. Mass effect is one game that has this choice system. and depending on your actions as the player you could side with the Aliens, Rebels or as intended stay with Earth. After all any path can lead to further expansion. Do the Aliens have friends or allies? Has earth been invaded in the meantime by other aliens and now you need to rectify the situation, possibly with powerful new friends to help. Just a thought 🙂

Paul Tozour liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
04/04/2017 6:26 am  

If there's a geothermal vent then there's a possible vent to be enjoyed as a health spa with all that ground water welling up to the surface. Swimming pools are a sure thing alongside.

• Health spa and swimming pool (increased happiness and health)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register