Forums

What buildings & other features would you most like to see in future updates & DLC?  

Page 3 / 4 Prev Next
  RSS

Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
04/04/2017 9:36 am  

A more overall pleasant thing for the members of the beta team would be to award a discount for any future DLC. A token of thanks or a gesture of good will. That would be nice 🙂

I'm pretty sure everyone would agree and the balls on your side of the court now 😉

ReplyQuote
bluesaka111
Eminent Member
05/04/2017 1:24 pm  

that not neccessary.

And most of your structure ideas have problem: How can colonist walk outside without oxygen mask or under protective shield of somesort?!

ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
05/04/2017 7:06 pm  

Did you notice the smiley face and the one winking?

Where did I suggest any building that would not be an enclosed environment and serviced with tunnels?

I did suggest the colonists been able to walk freely outside the existing constructed colony, but only after the player has the technology to do so. The second Alien device is a shield matrix and that could be adapted with the use of all the different types of crystals found in-game to create a comfortable breathable and livable area under the huge domed Colonial shield. The energy to maintain it would have been discovered in advance by using one of the coloured crystals on the path to obtaining the ultimate domed Colonial shield.

Perhaps all of the Colonial shields together across the planet can be extended to surround the whole planet? Or maybe there's some other coloured crystal elsewhere in the Aven Prime system for that?

Can you think of anymore possibilities? 🙂

ReplyQuote
bluesaka111
Eminent Member
08/04/2017 3:06 am  

Colonial shield across entire planet? You want to kill all native life form on the first Aven prime world and possibly kill your own colonist??

Those colored crystals are useful for weapon improvement (high turn rate and pitch rate laser turret that use blue crystal to create a beam of intense light energy to annihilate target) and or a man made star to generate limitless power.

All those structure in game does not have any shield or protective dome to protect colonist at all. And that is the first suggestion I made when I discover that issue but somehow devs though I complain about Habitat and Skyscraper footprint size.

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
08/04/2017 5:14 am  

I think a shield around the whole planet is asking for too much.  The one that can cover the whole settlement on some given map makes more sense. 

ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
08/04/2017 2:02 pm  

Have you ever heard of a planetary barrier or shield in any other sci-fi games, films or books that you have come across? Master of Orion comes to mind when thinking of games that do have and Star Trek, Isaac Asimov's Foundation series etc. Some stories have planets hidden in a cloaking field believe it or not.

Read the previous reply that Paul gave and I am only suggesting things as a potential within reason and not necessarily to be adopted. I was thinking of a planetary shield for another planet within the solar system though rather than the moon itself of Aven Prime. Like you said the atmosphere of Aven Prime is mainly carbon dioxide and unlikely to be able to just change over night. It would take generations and is that really necessary?

The colonial shields on Aven Prime would eventually be a safe sanctuary for wanderers, pioneers and entrepreneurs from earth seeking a better life in the new world and maybe beyond. 

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
08/04/2017 7:16 pm  

Yes, I have most certainly heard of planetary shields; especially within the Star Wars universe.  See, I like to play Star Wars the Old Republic, (or SWTOR, as I like to call it), and the first big enemy I had to fight as a Jedi Knight (this only pertains to the Jedi Knight story-line) was a Sith Lord who tried several times to use a planetary shield to kill people. 

The first time, his son took a planetary shield meant to protect Coruscant from enemy ships, and tried to use it to trap the people there.  That would have been a disaster, considering in the time period I play in (3700 years before Episode I) the planet was still recovering from a terrible war that had ended 10 years before.  Coruscant is also unable to feed its people, due to the lack of farmland.  In fact, in the nearby star systems, there are a number of agrarian planets whose sole purpose is to feed the people living on the capital world.  Also, Coruscant's infrastructure was still a mess, even after 10 years of rebuilding.  So I killed the Sith Lord's son to stop him, and dad, of course, wanted revenge.  

The second time the planetary shield was used, it had not only been "improved" upon, now it had actually been weaponized, and would basically destroy most living things on the target planet.  I failed to stop the Sith Lord on the "test world" he used, but I did send in brave volunteers willing to help the few survivors, even though they would be trapped on the surface forever. 

The third time was the last straw.  This monster wanted to use the same killer planetary shield on Tython, the ancient home of the Jedi.  He would have basically cooked the planet's surface, and trapped everyone living there, including all the Jedi in the temple, and the innocent Twi'lek pilgrims living nearby in the village.  That time, I finally defeated him and shut down the weapon. 

So yes, I know all about planetary shields.  I just think such technology is beyond the capabilities of the Aven Colonists.  Even if the alien tech could create a planetary shield, it would have to be specific as to what it kept out.  Also, such a shield would not stop rebel colonists from being a problem.  Does this shield keep out meteors?  Would it prevent ships and shuttles of a specific type from landing?  What kind of planetary shield are you suggesting?  

You seem interested in the idea of Terra-forming Aven Prime, but I don't think that's what the colonists were going for.  While it would be nice to warm up the planet's ambient temperature and put more oxygen into its atmosphere, it would come at a cost.  You would risk killing the entire alien ecosystem on the planet.  Again, I don't think the colonists have the technology to do terra-forming.  Such technology would not only be extremely advanced, it would require humongous machinery based in space and on the planet itself.  I don't think that's what the aliens wanted either.  It would be different if Aven Prime's atmosphere and ecosystem had once been like Earth's, and had somehow been screwed up, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.  It isn't the same as what they're currently showing in Mass Effect: Andromeda.  In that game, you're playing a soldier who went with thousands of other humans in a starship, and traversed empty space for 634 years to go colonize planets in the Andromeda Galaxy.  Seven "Golden Worlds" were chosen by the leaders of the expedition, because what little information they could find showed these 7 planets had similar size and atmospheres to Earth.  But when you get to them 6 centuries later, you discover all the planets are a bust.  However, on one of the planets, an irradiated desert world called Eos, you discover an underground alien vault, and when you turn it on, it cleans up the atmosphere of the planet immediately, giving your people a chance to make their first colonization attempts. 

Frankly, I still don't think that's what the Aven colonists were going for.  They knew from the start the planet didn't quite have the atmosphere and temperature that humans needed to survive without environmental suits.  That's why they took along tech to build hermetically sealed, pressurized environments. 

ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
08/04/2017 7:31 pm  

One useful update to the farms would be orchards.  I heard about a glitch the devs had with some of the plants accidentally turning into banana trees, hehe.  Citrus fruit trees in particular would be good for the colonists' diets (Vitamin C).  Some of those trees in the tropical regions of Aven Prime also look like they might have some alien fruit that could be modified for human consumption. 

I'm still wondering if animal farming might be included in the game, such as ranches, fishing, and stuff along those lines.  The only trouble is, any animals the colonists brought along would have to live in the same hermetically sealed environment as their human masters, so any ranches, barns, or coops would have to be pressurized as well.  The animals would also have to consume food like their human masters.  Still, their meat could provide protein for the colonists' diets.  Quinoa can only go so far in the plant dept. when it comes to protein.  Possibly wrangling Aven Prime animals for food would be handy, considering they could live outdoors, though the only animals I've seen so far are the orange lizard-birds, the dragonflies, the creeper spores, and the giant worms in the desert.  Not sure if we want to eat those.  

ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
10/04/2017 10:30 am  

I agree. When I think of the animals for the colony I mean domesticated animals such as chickens, pigs, sheep, cows, goats, llama etc. Even pets such as cats, dogs, that can be purchased from the retail center might be worth thinking about. The benefits for the colony in having domestic animals is obvious and the psychological health benefits for having pets, but they too would need catering for and apart from that would only be aesthetically pleasing. The veterinary clinic would be a must.

I prefer the idea of limited terraforming and taking advantage of Aven Prime's native plant life (as is depicted in-game) and possible wildlife in a sustainable manner and not destructive to the overall environment. The plague spore and creep are the only native threat that has been revealed so far, there maybe more to come.

ReplyQuote
Spitty
11/04/2017 5:44 pm  

I would like to be able to start the colony from just seeing the lander land and beginning construction from square one!

I was actually disappointed to see that this was not part of the game from the beginning. I'm hoping that something can be added to make this possible.

I imagine having it be a kind of mini game to build the basics using the lander and then kick into the existing game once the required buildings are setup. Those section materials could be dropped from orbit and require a drone (that could be built into the lander) be the primary construction bot until more are made. The drone could harvest nanites from pods and begin construction of modules like the smaller existing ones we don't get to build.

I feel like this part of the game being missing leaves me somewhat disconnected from my colony. I'm essentially just taking over the colony set up instead of establishing it from the beginning.

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
LadyAquanine735
Trusted Member
11/04/2017 7:10 pm  

Now that you mention it, all the playable maps start with the basic setup, but they didn't quite explain how it all got there.  Often you see two temporary habitats with 16 people each, some tunnels, basic solar panels, a small fan pod, and some storage modules.  The Lander idea would explain all of that.  A nice cutscene of the first colonists getting into the lander, and then showing it taking off and landing on Aven Prime's surface would add some depth to the game.

One thing I like to do is build a proper habitat for my beginner colonists, and then recycle the temporary buildings.  It's like moving from a tent into a properly furnished apartment building.  Eventually, as I build up the colony, I recycle and basically get rid of the old modules where it all started, but I do it gradually.  In fact, you can't get rid of...say...the fan module unless you've built an intake fan first.  Or you can't get rid of the basic solar modules until your colony can produce a minimum of 200 electrical units. 

Spitty liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
11/04/2017 10:00 pm  

Yes. That's the expression I should have used when mentioning the floating around as if I had a jet pack on and 'somewhat disconnected' as the governor. Hence, my want for a building that has significance for me being on the ground too, a Governor's residence, and there I can interact with the colonists face to face rather than just making general inquiries as to how they are doing from way above.

I would like to think that the governors residence would have been one of the first initial buildings laid down, a simple abode to begin with and able to be upgraded for missions. Nothing fancy, nothing special but a gradual evolutionary process culminating in a mission building.

Spitty liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
12/04/2017 11:41 am  

On hindsight the Prometheus lander could be upgraded to become a Political Arena/Governors residence. This could be achieved once enough space has become available for the other initial residence of the lander and happening as and when the overall population level for the colony has reached a certain figure (just like recycling the building and them having to live elsewhere). Not sure about the footprint for the building though and whether or not other buildings would need to make way. 

It all depends on whether the devs have the inclination or will to do so.

Spitty liked
ReplyQuote
Spitty
12/04/2017 10:28 pm  

I'd also like to see missions where buildings aren't available to build for some reason. It could be as simple as there are no vents to build a geothermal power plant on. Or more complex like parts for building something have been taken by a rouge faction and now you need to send out teams in expedition craft to combat them and attempt to retrieve the parts. I think it would be fun to start a mission where the colony was already pretty balanced and had a bunch of pre-built expedition craft at my command to fulfill an objective to unlock a building. 

Sci fi 101 liked
ReplyQuote
Sci fi 101
Trusted Member
12/04/2017 11:04 pm  

That would be fun and maybe include some other potential native wildlife on your searches that are sentient enough to communicate with and open up a dialogue? I wonder if they have mathematics games or puzzles for the player to work out or maybe a foresight of things to come in any future DLC could also be hinted on after you complete your building that you suggest?

Spitty liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register