Forums

Game fails to start  

RSS

LogicSauce
11/09/2016 8:18 pm  

Hello,

Just having some trouble starting the game - I've tried launching it from the 'itch-io' client, and have also directly tried to open the exe. file for the game, but I get an error message saying that I'm missing 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime'. The client gives me the option to download what I'm missing, but after I do, it tells me that I'm still missing it. Unfortunately, I only get the option to uninstall the program that it needed me to have. 
I've attached the entire zipped folder for Aven Colony for anyone to look at (as it's better to have more information than less and I'm pretty bad when it comes to troubleshooting problems). If you need me to, I could also attach the buy report from when the game fails to load.
It's also worth mentioning that I had a similar issue when launching Starbound, but the developers temporarily fixed the issue by making me open the exe. file for Starbound from within the 32bit folder, and not the 64bit folder. Just a bit of information which may be useful for the developers of Aven Colony. I am aware that the issue may be due to having an outdated version of Windows 8.1, but the Windows Update app is a real pain, and won't let me update to the latest version.

Thanks to anyone who reads this, and hope that someone can help me with this issue.

Edit: the compressed file is taking we too long to upload, so I'll just attach the crash report instead, until I find out a way to link the Aven Colony file (is there really no file sharing service I can use which is free of charge, because I don't really want to give out my card details). 

Attachment removed
Edited: 11 months  ago

ReplyQuote
satoru
Eminent Member
11/09/2016 8:49 pm  

1) reboot your computer 

2) re run Engine/Extras/Redist/en-us/UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe

3) reboot

Wherever you go there you are

ReplyQuote
LogicSauce
11/09/2016 10:08 pm  

Nope, still get the same error. Alas, switching it on and off again has not worked, which is unfortunate. Thanks for replying though.

ReplyQuote
satoru
Eminent Member
11/09/2016 11:53 pm  

Note that you shouldnt have any 'problems' using windows update on Windows 8.1. Not being fully patched can cause a lot of problems

Also do you have the latest Nvidia drivers

ReplyQuote
bluesaka111
Eminent Member
12/09/2016 9:18 am  

Try download Visual C++ redistribution for 2015 to fix those error (If your pc run x64 windows edition then download vc_redist.x64.exe else download and install both)

After install run the game to see if it recognize those DLL from C++ redistribution pack. If it still ask you to download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 runtime then your PC may have some problem with DLL register system and you may need to reinstall your OS. Ask your technician for further check before decide what to do.

ReplyQuote
LogicSauce
12/09/2016 9:53 am  

The Windows Update is not allowing me to check for, or download, updates because it requires a 'system administrator', even though I am on the administrator profile. I had a look online and it seems some other people have had the same problem, but it seems there's no real solution other than to wipe the entire computer, reinstall Windows 8.1 and get the latest updates, which I am not doing for one game that isn't working. 
I am running the latest Nvidia drivers (372.70).

ReplyQuote
LogicSauce
12/09/2016 9:56 am  

Visual C++ redistribution for 2015 fails on setup after I download it, which is the same problem I had when I was trying to fix the problem I had with starting up Starbound. In the end, the developers fixed the problem, but I had to open the exe. file within the 32bit version of the game.

ReplyQuote
satoru
Eminent Member
12/09/2016 3:21 pm  
Posted by: LogicSauce

The Windows Update is not allowing me to check for, or download, updates because it requires a 'system administrator', even though I am on the administrator profile. I had a look online and it seems some other people have had the same problem, but it seems there's no real solution other than to wipe the entire computer, reinstall Windows 8.1 and get the latest updates, which I am not doing for one game that isn't working. 
I am running the latest Nvidia drivers (372.70).

Note this would indicate you have a much more systemic problem with your computer that could be causing any number of issues. Especially if the vcredist installer is failing

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register