Density: Habitat

Power density: Habitat

Cost Density: Skyscraper

Given that the skyscraper is taller, it should be:

Footprint: Habitat

Density: Skyscraper

Power density: Skyscraper

Cost Density: Habitat

As a result there is no reason to build skyscrapers at any stage in the game since T1 habitats transition into the "best" long term housing.

Edited: 10 months  ago

Subtactrics liked
ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
29/09/2016 8:20 pm  

I'm not sure what your analysis is intended to get across.

Here's a spreadsheet that I think should clarify.

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
29/09/2016 8:22 pm  

Note that this balancing will change somewhat in the next update.

ReplyQuote
Theos
30/09/2016 1:51 am  

I would have expected that the T2 skyscraper would have the best density in exchange for the worst cost since it is for advanced colonies which have space and power limits instead of nanite limits. The current balance makes T3 Habitat the best advanced colony housing. The 3x3 grid also fits well with other buildings. Skyscrapers seem to be an inferior housing in all cases which is probably not the intent.

ReplyQuote
Paul Tozour
Reputable Member
30/09/2016 4:59 pm  

Theos: I'm afraid I'm still not following you.  If you look at my chart above, T3 habitat isn't the "best" and Skyscrapers aren't "inferior."

First off, there's no universal "best" or "worst."  It depends whether you care more about the nanite cost, the ongoing electricity upkeep cost, or the colonists supported per tile.

Again, look at the chart I posted above.  The T2 Skyscraper has the best nanite cost per colonist supported, while the T3 Habitat has the best electricity upkeep and colonists supported per tile.

All of that is going to change somewhat in the next update, though, as we continue to tune and tweak these values.

ReplyQuote
Subtactrics
07/10/2016 2:27 pm  

Skyscrapers need to be much much better. The substance of your colony is 2x2 so skyscrapers don't really fit (literally).

And the nanite cost is progressive with habitats, which offsets the marginally increased cost.

I agree with the OP - I think those changes give the two a different character and mean that you'd use Skyscrapers more when you get to that point where you're building whole extensions at a time.

Totally recalling accidentally killing everyone... over and over again.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register