Aven Colony FAQ
We’ve written up a FAQ to help answer some of the most common questions that have come up since we announced on August 25.
When is the beta available?
It just went live on itch.io — see our update about the beta!
Wait, why itch.io and not Steam Early Access?
We’ve been doing our private beta on Steam so far, but we felt that itch.io was a better match for doing a carefully-curated beta that would help us make our game the best it can be. A designer we deeply respect and who made a really awesome game explained some of the reasons why Early Access in its current form is not always an ideal avenue for a game that’s in beta.
We will, of course, launch on Steam as well as itch.io once we are ready to launch in 2017.
Great! So, that’s the beta — what about the full game?
We will launch in early 2017 on both Steam and itch.io simultaneously.
Why don’t you at least give Steam keys, or promise them to your itch.io customers when the game is released on Steam?
Valve has specifically requested that we not do this. Giving or promising Steam keys for a game not currently being distributed on Steam would be a violation of Steam’s terms of service.
I’m a streamer / YouTuber or someone in the games media or other media, and I want to cover Aven Colony / try the game / request an interview! How do I get a key or request any of that?
Just fill out our media request form: http://avencolony.com/media-request-form/
Our PR and key distribution is being handled by the terrific folks at Evolve PR.
Can you speak to comparisons to SimCity, Anno, Tropico, Planetbase, No Man’s Sky, etc …
Not specifically. Aven Colony is its own game.
We did our due diligence on all the games in the genre, as well as lots of others. But Aven Colony is very much its own game with its own style of gameplay.
We can say definitively that Aven Colony is nothing like No Man’s Sky, and not even the same genre.
What can you tell us about the multiplayer?
The multiplayer is closely modeled after the multiplayer in Fallout 4.
… that is, there isn’t any.
I’m a streamer and I DO have a key! What do I need to know? Can I start streaming now?
Yes, you can stream at any time! Some helpful guidelines to make a better stream:
- Please be sure to mention that it’s a BETA and that the BETA is available on itch.io. It would also be helpful to label your streams and videos as such. Note that the itch.io beta is exactly the same version of the game as the beta keys we distributed to select streamers and YouTubers.
- Be sure to play the tutorials (“Holo-Sim 1” and “Holo-Sim 2”) when starting, either during the stream or beforehand.
- For the very best results when streaming, we recommend installing the game on an SSD and playing on a system with a video card with a PassMark score of 9K or higher.
- We recommend starting with Vanaar, as it’s a very pretty mission and the easiest one to start out with.
- Do let us know in advance if you plan to stream (8+ hours advance notice is best!) and we will try to RT from @MothershipTeam and @AvenColony to drive traffic your way. The best way to inform us is to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also sometimes available to join streaming sessions in some cases; here, too, e-mail us at email@example.com to arrange this with as much advance notice as possible.
Why did you guys give the keys to streamers and YouTubers and games media FOR FREE up to 13 days before everyone else could access it? That’s unfair!
That’s the standard in our industry. Games go out to journalists, games media, streamers, and YouTubers a few weeks before the rest of the world gets to see it, so they can do reviews, previews, etc.
This has always been the way the industry works. The role of streamers, YouTubers, and games media is to help preview games and drive attention toward them. We gave a limited number of keys to our PR so that they could distribute them as appropriate to legitimate streamers / media etc.
What do you mean by “beta”?
We explain what’s finished and what isn’t in this update.
What can you tell me about the gameplay?
The best thing to do right now is watch some of the recorded gameplay streams posted in our forums at http://avencolony.com/community/main-forum/media-coverage-list/ and also read the UE4 Showcase interview about our game linked to from that page.
If I get on the beta, does that get me a Steam key?
No, itch.io is separate from Steam. If you can only play through Steam, it’s best to wait for the full launch — which will definitely include Steam! — in early 2017.
How do plants grow on Aven Prime if there’s no atmosphere?
It does have an atmosphere, but it’s mostly carbon dioxide and nitrogen with very little oxygen. It’s also somewhat thinner overall than Earth — a bit like the top of Mount Everest.
This means that Aven Prime’s atmosphere, while not exactly toxic, is much friendlier for plants than humans or other animals from Earth.
And all those aspects of the atmosphere mean that the air on Aven Prime requires both pressurization and increased oxygenation within a hermetically-sealed colony in order to allow humans to live normally.
Will there be any in-app purchases or in-game advertising?
How do I pronounce “Aven”?
It rhymes with “raven.”
Trackback from your site.