It’s time for the Aven Colony BETA!
We’re live on itch.io!
EDIT: If installing from the itch.io launcher, please make sure you have the latest version of the launcher installed (18.7.0 or later), as this fixes some installation issues.
You can see a terrific preview of the game below, and there are also many more previews and Let’s Plays linked from our YouTube channel.
We highly recommend starting with the 2 tutorials (“Holo-Sim 1” and “Holo-Sim 2”) and then playing the campaign missions in the order they are listed (Vanaar, Sandy Gulch, …) before attempting Sandbox maps.
This will help you ease into the game and learn the gameplay concepts gradually, and the story will also make much more sense that way. The game currently lets you play the 5 available campaign maps in any order, but this will change for the final version of the game.
Be advised that purchasing this beta does buy the full game upon release via itch.io but does not grant a Steam key. We are unable to offer Steam keys as the game is not yet available for purchase via Steam (for the reasons explained in our FAQ).
The game will be launched at a higher price point on both Steam and itch.io in early 2017.
We also want to be very clear that the game isn’t finished. Here’s what isn’t in the beta yet:
- We have 5 campaign missions available out of the 10 we expect to have when we launch in 2017.
- We have 5 sandbox missions available out of the 10 we expect to have when we launch in 2017.
- Plague spores aren’t in the game yet.
- We’ll add more buildings during the beta. We already have art almost finished for a lightning tower and a defensive turret but they aren’t in the game yet.
- We’ll be improving performance further during the beta.
- We’ll be tweaking and tuning almost everything during the beta, so this means we’ll be making particularly large changes to things like:
- social policies
- research formulas
- user interface
- the various colonist morale factors
- mission setup and the various mission objectives
- enhancers and the addiction / withdrawal game mechanic
- how much buildings cost to build and what they do
Also, please also be advised that there are also some bugs we currently fixing:
- Scrubber Drones do not currently fix Apartments, so if these get infected, they’re lost.
- You can currently play any of the first 5 campaign missions in any order (although we do recommend playing them in the order they appear in the list!)
- There’s currently no way to advance past Colony Governor; player ranks will be granted for every 2 campaign missions completed
- There are some issues when switching to windowed mode on some systems, where the window get stuck in the upper-left corner. We are investigating this, but in the meantime, here is a workaround for affected users:
- After changing to Windowed mode, save your game, quit, and start up the game again.
- In the game, hit ALT+Space and then hit ‘M’. You can then use the cursor keys (or mouse, once you’ve hit a cursor key) to move the window.
- Sandworms do not yet damage the colony and their timing is incorrect (they pop up X seconds after you load or start a game)
- The Tenari Glacier mission does not currently advise you properly that having 1-2 “Bar & Grill” buildings set to “Bar mode” will help you achieve the objective of getting your colonists addicted
- Many performance optimizations are still in progress; we recommend turning down the graphics options if you experience frame rate issues
- Colonists can currently “commute” any distance, which causes overly-long commutes on some maps, like Hyla’s Crescent
- There are some issues with varying audio volumes, and SHIPE calls do not have their own audio slider yet.
- Sandy Gulch is missing a bit of its scripting
- The building count will increase for the final game. We currently have Lightning Towers and Defense Turrets nearly completed but they are not
- The key bindings UI has not yet been implemented
- Toxic gas emissions can go through mountains
- The looping video used for the front-end main menu scene is a work-in-progress
- The building “shattering”/”implosion” effect is placeholder
- There are a few missing sound effects
Operating System: Windows 7/8 64-bit
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD, 2.5 GHz or faster
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Card/DirectX Version: DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
- Intel Core i5-4430S 2.73 GHz or higher
- GeForce GTX 580 or higher
- Intel Core i3-3220 3.3 GHz or higher
- AMD Athlon II X3 455 or higher
Note that you may need to reduce the graphics options (in particular, turning off shadows) if your system is closer to the minimum spec than the recommended spec.
Trackback from your site.